1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
3 oz of Shiitake* mushrooms, washed and chopped
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup of walnuts
¼ cup almonds
2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pan, fry onion, garlic and mushrooms.
2. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until the mushrooms become darker in colour.
3. In a blender, chop the walnuts and almonds into coarse pieces (hit "pulse" about 5 to 7 times).
4. Add the mushroom mix, tamari sauce, Cayenne pepper, allspice, oregano, salt and pepper and blend for 5 to 10 seconds.
5. Transfer to a bowl and cover.
6. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
Before serving, leave the pâté at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
Place in a serving dish and garnish with herb leaves and cranberries or cherry tomatoes. Serve with bread, crackers or your favourite vegetables.
*Any other mushroom can be used in place of Shiitake, however, shiitake mushrooms are preferable because they strengthen the immune system and contain vitamin D2.
The recipe is courtesy of Dominique Dupuis of l'atelier culinaire L'armoire du haut.